A tough Goodbye….

Hard to believe that is was 13 years ago, the first time I met Cosmo. He was what most would consider a troubled child…with a laundry list of ‘issues’ and a stubbornness I’ve yet to see outmatched . But there was something I couldn’t help but love.

Cosmo was transferred to Family Dogs with the hope, that in time, he would be ready for adoption but that time never came…Not only was he a challenging dog, Cos also bonded very closely to another pooch in our care- Dolly, a female Rottweiler who was also quite special, and we couldn’t bare to split them up. So we decided that Cosmo and Dolly would live out their lives, together, with us. Where they would be safe, happy and loved. They were family.

And so, for the last 13 years we’ve shared our lives with them, and loved them like our own.

Sadly, we lost Dolly last year…she passed away at the age of 15.  We knew that Cos would meet his Dolly again some day and today was that day. Today we said a very tough goodbye to a good friend, a dog with an unforgettable lust for life….today we said goodbye to one of our family.

Have a peaceful rest Cosmo….thank you for all the memories.

facebooktwitterpinterestmail

9 Comments

1. Kristine said . . .

Awww how very sad. Sounds like he lived a very good life with a great companion. Now he is free to cross the bridge and meet up with her once again. Where he can run and play and be as free as he ever has. Rest in Peace Cosmo.

Posted April 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
  2. Heidy I Hollister said . . .

Thank you so much for this tribute. You all do so much great work. I am the vet tech at LCAS in Eugene, and you have rescued many of our dogs. I greatly appreciate this and all the animal loving people at your organization, that I know work very, very hard to find each and every one of them a forever home. Please know that I understand all the emotions that go into saving the lives of those that do not ask for anything but our kind hand and a place in our hearts.

Posted April 18, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink
  3. Maria Parish said . . .

So sorry for your loss! Dogs are just love wrapped up in fur, it’s so sad to lose them!

Posted April 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink
  4. Kim said . . .

God Bless you all, for all you do for these amazing creatures. Maria, you said it so well, dogs are just love wrapped in fur. They give so much more than they receive. They deserve so much better. I wish people would just “get it”. They count on us and we continue to let them down. Thank you so much for all of these great people that make their lives as good as it should be. God Bless and RIP Cosmo and heart felt sympathy for his family.

Posted April 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink
  5. Felicia said . . .

I’m sorry about the loss of your friend. What blessed work you do, caring for creatures that others have given up on or thrown away. You made a safe, loving home for Cosmo. Thank you, FDNLS.

Posted April 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink
  6. Kelli said . . .

My sympathies for your loss. Thank you for giving Cosmo a great life.

Posted April 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink
  7. TrudyPerry said . . .

My Condolences to everyone at Family Dogs I know how hard that was for you.. My prayers go out to you and I know that Cosmo and Dolly are together without question.. Rest in Peace Cosmo…Hugs

Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:11 am | Permalink
  8. Kathy Stevenson said . . .

This picture of Cosmo really touches my heart. What a beautiful old guy. I am sorry for your loss. You do such wonderful work, you guys are the best. I got a dog with ‘issues’ from you years back and I really miss that crazy old Ginger. Thank you for all you do.

Posted April 19, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink
  9. Andrea said . . .

Thank you to all the amazing people at FDNL for all the you do, and for giving him such a great home. God speed Cosmo, go find Dolly.

Posted May 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink